Carbon Monoxide Alarm – The Forgotten Detector – Part Two

Carbon Monoxide Alarm - The Forgotten Detector - Part Two

Carbon Monoxide Detectors are required, by law, in Colorado, effective July 1, 2009 for all new homes, rental homes as they change Renters and Older homes that are to be sold. One on each floor. The existing Owners are required to install them.

I told you, in Part One, that I had two stories and here is the first one. This is a sad story. A Denver Family of four had won a weekend vacation trip to Aspen, Colorado last Thanksgiving. As they slept during that night Carbon Monoxide was released by a disconnected exhaust of the boiler in the vacation home while they slept. They were found dead.

During the current Colorado legislative session the above bill was passed. Investigations are ongoing as to whether a crime was committed because of the disconnected pipe.

The bill that was passed excluded Hotels and Motels from this requirement. So I would suggest that you take Carbon Monoxide Detector with you when you travel. The battery operated ones will not require you to find that hard to locate electric plug in those rooms.

I think the requirement of one on each floor is a good one. I would put the one on the lower floor as close to the source of heat in the home. That is usually the main spot where Carbon Monoxide is created. Probably between there and the kitchen.

The other News Story was in the Denver Post on March 10, 2009 and has a happy ending. I will quote it as it was in the paper. Headline read: Dog Saves 9 People From Carbon-monoxide Poisoning. The news article went on to read: A pet’s barks and cries alerted the occupants of a Western Slope home to a carbon monoxide buildup this past weekend a family says. Kenai a 14 year-old Bernese-mountain-dog mix, started “whining and barking” at 4 a.m. Sunday, waking one of three adults sleeping in the basement of the New Castle home, said Kirstin Kraig of Arvada. Kraig and her husband, their two children, five other adults and four dogs were all staying at the home. That night they had cooked in the oven. Investigators told Kraig that the oven caused the carbon-monoxide leak. The mountain getaway home didn’t have any detectors. After the dog woke up one of the occupants, several of them realized they weren’t feeling well and one person collapsed. The group collectively identified the carbon-monoxide problem, in part because of fatal cases this year in Colorado and the Denver area that received widespread media coverage, Kraig said.

Please buy and use this safety item in your home. Your family deserves it. They cost less than a dinner out and are so much more necessary.

Be Aware and Alert Always –